Pages

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Product Review: TuffRider Women's Starter Front Zip Paddock Boots


The Short Version

4/5, comfortable, easy care and even easier on the wallet but be careful about manufacturing defects. Recommended.

The Long Version

I ordered these boots before I had even decided on an instructor. I was that excited about riding. However, the saner part of me decided that just in case I would turn out to hate this whole horse/riding/dressage thing (haha), I would buy cheaper gear. 

I have the mocha color which is a very nice dark brown/havana. It's dark enough that it looks almost black in certain lighting and does not have any reddish or orangish undertones. The texture is matte and it's definitely not as shiny as some of the pictures make it out to be. Initially, the boot felt very stiff around the ankle and the top edge of the heel cup kept digging into the heel in awkward ways. I had to use some force with my hands to encourage the boots to bend at the ankle at a better place occasionally and a few weeks later it has broken in perfectly. I would say it took around 10 hours or so of walking/riding about in them. It's now comfortable with no rubbing anywhere in the ankle.

Synthetic construction means it's easy to clean (just wipe down with damp cloth) and I don't feel particularly bad about tramping around in them everywhere. The zipper is perhaps not as heavy duty as it could and I feel they could be the first thing to break. So far okay, though!

On the other hand, my left boot is suffering an issue where the synthetic surface has cracked along the punched toe cap. Issue is mostly cosmetic seems to be a manufacturing defect. Too bad I didn't notice until 2 months after I ordered.

Oh and the boot runs very true to size. I initially ordered the 6.5 based on other reviews I saw online and returned them for the 6, my regular size. If I had to comment on width, I would the boot is on the slightly narrow-ish side, although not excessively.

Overall, it's a nice starter paddock boot and a peace-of-mind option if you don't want to get your nice expensive Ariats dirty. Recommended.


No comments:

Post a Comment