Pages

Saturday, October 25, 2014

Book review: The USDF Guide to Dressage by Jennifer O. Bryant



The Short Version

5/5 Excellent from-the-basics introduction for absolute beginners, covering a wide range of topics including the attire, instructor searching, basic dressage discussion, tips for showing, off-saddle exercises...

The Long Version

To be completely honest, I felt a bit leery about a book published by an Organization, which are often big faceless (and potentially soulless) entities; I've been burned by crummy official literature before. I am happy to report that I was completely wrong in this instance.

The USDF Guide to Dressage was exactly what I needed.

As a fumbling beginner, sometimes I felt overwhelmed by all the new information that everyone around me at the barn seemed to have just magically absorbed from birth. Luckily, The Guide broke it all down from the top.

The book starts out with a little history lesson which I admittedly skimmed. Then it moved onto practical matters; the attire. It goes over helmets, boots, breeches, including astonishingly illuminating details such as breeches vs. tights and knee patches vs. full seat and "what the heck is the difference between dressage/dress/field boots?" (I literally exclaimed an ooooooh! out loud when I read that part). It also goes into different types of saddles and bridles for your horse as well. Finally, it also contains some very good suggestions for finding an instructor. (My post How to Find a Riding Instructor has some more!) Of the books I've read so far, this was the only one that contained answers to these all-important beginner questions.

The Guide then moves onto a description of the basics of dressage; posture, the aids, the three gaits (walk, trot and canter) and a discussion of some lateral work to cap it off. (Note that it does not include more advanced dressage movements such as flying lead changes.) The entire book is accompanied by an absolute wealth of full-colour pictures and diagrams as well!

I also love that the book has chapters devoted to showing and a guide for navigating the bureaucratic maze of signing up for a USDF sanctioned show, even though the latter was a deathly dry section.

More useful was chapter 17, where the book discusses rider fitness and offered exercises to build core strength and improve flexibility. Again, this was all accompanied by excellent pictures.

Honestly, I cannot say enough good things about this book for an adult beginner like myself. It answered many of the questions that I was too self-conscious to ask. Definitely strongly recommended!

No comments:

Post a Comment